With Amy Halloran, Ellie Markovitch, Dawn Woodward, Naomi Duguid, Alex Gunuey, Laura Valli, William Rubel, Christine Krauss, Ken Fornataro, Daniel Gray, Zuza Zak, John Hutt, Maroua Jellibi, Sean Doherty, Peiman Khosravi, Kinga Vincze, Renu Anshie Dhar, Amy Kalafa, Eiko Takahashi, Heather Willensky, Zev Robinson
Bakers and Chefs and Fermenters and Friends from around the world demonstrate how they ferment whole grains and flours of all kinds into traditional and new forms. Some will demonstrate how to use combinations of yeasts, bacteria and/or fungus in vegan and gluten free foods as well, others with whole grains like wheat, corn, oats rice or rye in breads, fermented pastas, dumplings, cookies, pancakes, muffins, buns and even drinks. Some will discuss whole grains and community and agriculture and freedom.
April Flours Benefit: $45 for the entire month of sessions and live events, at least 16, probably more. This is a month long benefit for WCK that is feeding many Ukrainians displaced by the war.
These events are recorded, and subscribers to the entire series can watch them until the end of the year. Otherwise, it’s $15 per event – only watchable until the end of the month of May. Some sessions are live, others are recorded. The recorded sessions schedule is likely to change.
An annual subscription of $75 to Ferments and Cultures – or creating a video for any event during 2022 also gets you in. Full subscribers to Ferments and Cultures have access to hundreds of videos in our library as well as past, present and future events of 2022.
Please use PayPal.me/FermentsandCultures and note what it’s for.
Follow us on Instagram: Cultures.Group for last minute updates and surprise events. Hopefully, we will raise lots of money for World Central Kitchen that has been feeding the milllions of refugees that this war has created.
Amy Halloran and Ellie Markovitch are the hosts for the month, with guest bakers, chefs and fermenters:
- Mon. April 4 – 11AM Mon. April 4 – 11AM Milling, Bread History, significance of the harvest, Whole Grains, and why sourdough? We will meet at the beginning of the month and map a way to extract all the fuel we can from our stores; we’ll meet again at the end of the month and discuss our journeys.You can start by following Ellie’s 1/2 Cup of Sourdough Series , and by subscribing to Amy’s Dear Bread newsletter. (Amy Halloran and Ellie Markovitch)- Live
- Tuesday April 5 – 2 PM Basic Sourdough Techniques with Elie – Feeding your mother and maintaining your relationship (Ellie Markovitz)
- Tuesday April 5 – 3 PM A Beginner’s Guide to Making Sweet White Miso for Baking and Bread Making (Maroua Jellibi)
- Wednesday April 6 – 12PM to 1:30 Whole Grains and sourdough rye ring (Dawn Woodward, Amy Halloran and Ellie Markovitch) – Live
- Wednesday April 6 – 3PM to 5 PM Buckwheat Idli with Koji Starter, Sagohachizuke with Foraged Greens, Edible Wild Plants and Mushrooms in Koji Applications (Christine Krauss)
- Thurs. April 7 – 3 PM Making Koji, Quick Koji Pickles, Tasting Misos, Curing and Caring for Cast Iron Pans – (Amy Kalafa and Alex Gunuey)
- Tues. April 7 – 4 PM Kasha Varnishkes, Koji Cured Lamb, Golden koji beets, Sourdough Flatbreads- (Amy Kalafa and Alex Gunuey)
- Thursday April 7 – 7 PM Noodles and Ramen from seed to flour to preparation (Daniel Gray) – Live
- Friday April 8 – 12 EST- Laura Valli/WSU Bread Lab and Dawn Woodward – Rye Baking Forum (Laura Valli/WSU Bread Lab, Dawn Woodward) Live
- Monday April 11 – 10 AM – Finnish Malt Loaf (Saaristolaisleipä) using toasted rye koji and sweet magnolia tea (Sean Doherty)
- Wednesday 13 – 5 PM Sake Kasu Starter, Sake Kasu Cheesecake, Sake Kasu buns, Making Sake Kasu (Kinga Vincze)
- Thursday April 14 – 7 AM Whole Grain Sourdough Bread Soy Sauce (Ken Fornataro)
- Tuesday 26 – 12:30 PM Whole Grain Khamiri, Dosa, Dhokla, and Bajra roti (Renu Dhar aka Anshie)
- Tuesday 26 – 2 PM Zurek/Hemp Seed Butter /Kama/Winter Kvass (Zuza Zak)
- Wednesday 27 – 3 PM Sechskornbrot (Peiman Khoshravi)
- Wednesday 27 – 4 PM Whole Grain Fermented Asian Breads, Dumplings and Fermented Pastas (Ken Fornataro and Eiko Takashi) Live
- Thursday April 28 – 11AM -1 PM Review of practices, future goals – (Amy Halloran and Ellie Markovitch) Live
- Sat. April 30 – 12 PM EST Sourdough Yeast Extract and Applications to use it on (Cream cheese, popcorn, etc.) with (Heather Willensky)
- Sat. April 30 – 1:30 to 3 PM EST Real Bread Bakers by Zev Robinson of TheArtandPoliticsofEating.com with panel discussion on how bread, community, nutrition and agriculture are closely intertwined – (Zev Robinson, Naomi Duguid, John Hutt and William Rubel) Live
Love. Koji. Whole grains. Farmers. Fermenters. Bakers. Community.
We added lots of basic and advanced level koji making videos for our Bakers and Chefs and colleagues that don’t know koji as well as they know baking or milling or farming or grains. We’ve added some really basic first step videos for those that have never even consider how it can be used in anything that contains starch.
An annual subscription of $75 to Ferments and Cultures – or creating a video for any event during 2022 – also gets you in. Full subscribers to Ferments and Cultures have access to hundreds of videos in our library as well. Please use PayPal.me/FermentsandCultures and note what it’s for.
Follow us at Instagram: Cultures.Group for last minute updates and surprise events.