- 2 cups or 300 grams malted bread flour (or AP flour with barley)
- 2 TB or 26 grams shio koji (or 2 TB sweet miso or 1 TB salt)
- 3/4 cup or 75 grams raisins
- 1 cup or 275 grams milk kefir (or acid whey, whey or buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup or 130 grams water
Mix everything together well. It will be like a thick pancake batter. Refrigerate overnight or several days. Remove from refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Knead in the walnut flour, walnuts and brown sugar, then the baking soda and powder.
- 1 cup or 75 grams roasted, finely chopped walnuts (or more flour or another nut)
- 1 cup or 150 grams walnut flour (or bread or all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup or 75 grams light brown sugar
- 2 tsp or 16 grams baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder (optional, unless you are the unsure type)
Preheat oven to 375F. Plop the dough into the greased pan. Let it sit for a few minutes. Loosely score the top of the bread – if you can, others ignore it – in quarters and make one round loaf that you bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Check after 25 minutes with a digital probe or toothpick (200 F internal). Or, fill 24 muffin cups 1/2 full and bake 20 – 25 minutes.